Wednesday, February 1, 2012

EPISODE ALERT: Don Cornelius committed suicide



It is a sad day for fans of "Soul Train". I grew up watching the show and all the parties I attended had "Soul Train" lines. And we watched styles, music and sounds change before our eyes as "Soul Train" was a mainstay of culture for Black Entertainers. Then one day, Don Cornelius got old. Eventually we probably cast him aside onto the next thing. That with the diversity of music in our taste and what we liked to dance to, changed, markedly.

Then Don Cornelius committed suicide.


No one commits suicide randomly. There is always a reason and just like a heart attack or cancer, suicide ideation is for similar reasons. The sad part is at 75 years of age, he did not know who he could talk to, clinically, without judgment of his past accomplishments? He had no one who could help him professionally?


I HATE THE STIGMA OF MENTAL ILLNESS!!! I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT!


Regardless of how he lived his life, regardless of all the accomplishments and regardless of his relationships with loved ones, obviously, these meant nothing to him, and enough for him to commit suicide.

I am not judging here, because I have been there. I can see all I have and wanting to die by my own hand because it was meaningless. Then I get my meds checked and speak to my providers and get a time out and see write in this blog.

But for Don Cornelius at 75 years old to not have any knowledge to seek any professional care provider and decide it is better to die by his own hand...


That is the stigma of mental illness and it is killing us - especially people of color.