Friday, January 20, 2012

Red Tails movie - my review - "IF"


Red Tails is a rare movie that comes around every decade that changes people's minds. From what we thought was right and everything in place to what is right and replacing everything...

The movie is about the Tuskegee Airmen who flew Europe in World War II to defend their country, the United States in the war effort.

The movie stars Terrance Howard and Cuba Gooding Jr. as the veteran actors. And two relatively "newcomers" to the big screen, although I have seen them in smaller movies before: Nate Parker and David Oyelowo. I can say all the actors did an extraordinary job to not make the movie seem like a "history movie" no one can relate to. They ACTED this movie. They worked hard to deliver their lines and make the audience to believe what it was they were doing.

This movie is wholly produced and distributed by Mr. George Lucas of Lucasfilm. The same Almighty Plaid that created the "Star Wars Empire". Since I am a Star Wars geek, I had to see this movie as soon as I could. And I can say, this movie is one you a couple of times so you can get the full flavor of it. And do not get the bootleg, that's just dumb! See at least 2 showings in the full price movie theater!!! This is not about supporting Black movies, then is about doing JUSTICE to great patriots!

Did it make me feel like I was there with them as a Tuskegee Airman? Like I wanted to be like them? Almost... But then the scene was gritty and being in that environment for me, yuck!

Then the movie is not a "character study". It is more how "heroes" keep courage. And that is what you have to have in mind, when you see Red Tails.

Psychologically, this film begs the question:


"If I was there during that time...I would..."



And invariably, NO you would not do anything. You would be bunched up in your "favorite demeaning category" and overcome that kind of ignorance just like the Tuskegee Airmen were made to do.

They passed every test, engineering feat, staying alive in shitty hand-me-down planes and stay successful!

In the midst of it all, they succeeded. Despite what bigots thought.

And that is really the point of Red Tails, really.

I often whine about dealing my mental health issues, since racism has gone psychological to the point where I know I am certifiably crazy, and I think:

If I was there during that time, I would die by my own hand...



The Tuskegee Airmen are still alive TODAY!




Less Airmen in number, old, disabled, and forgetful, but overall, they remember! They are true patriots!



THANK YOU! So that I can say... "IF"