Writing for me is VERY HARD! I am a poor writer. And reading...(whispers: don't tell my mother as she is a reading specialist and has a PhD in reading not my FAVORITE thing to do until I get revved up going on something)...Yeah...
But I am LEARNING to put the two together: reading and writing due to the advent of social media. So thank Google, Facebook and Twitter for me when you see them.
Anyhow, I am reading this blog piece about: Science Fiction’s Take on the Future of Computers: Visionaries and Imaginaries
Cool as the other side of the pillow piece. LOVE the imagery from each of the authors and I find it incredible with a few probably becoming true. Then when I looked at all the names and who was predicting what computers will do in the future, I remembered my GeekGirlCon mantra and was like,
"Where are the women in all of this? What are our futures like?"
So it got me to thinking, what I know about women, being female, from a PhD in Molecular Genetics point of view. Here is what science fiction I inspire for women:
- NO WOMAN WILL EVER DIE OF BREAST CANCER ANYMORE!!! NEAR FUTURE!!! Computers will find a way to target cancer cells in such a way not seen before. Cells will be know if their programming will turn into cancer and a simple specialize photonic-laser therapy will be applied to reach to the sub-atomic level within the cells to correct the mutations both epigenetically and genetically. Before that, a vaccination will be given to women.
- Women will select their weights and be able to burn fat to the weight they desire. A combination between nanotechnology and the Staphylococcus spp. flesh eating bacteria which has been genetically modified to eat all white adipose tissue according to programmable targets from the nanotech.
- Women will not age, dubbed the "Dorian Gray Soma" effect. The telomeres switching as one age will be discovered to occur on the "X" chromosome affected by hormones, chiefly estrogen and after puberty. All women who choose it, will go to their provider and be injected with a vaccination or a treatment plan for the telomere-stabilization procedure so they do not age until 90-100 years old. It is like the "Soma" in a Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. But this is how the process works. So, no longer would it be socially acceptable for a 20 year old woman to have a baby. Most children will be born without medical intervention by women over 40 years old and the woman appears just as she did when she was 16-20 years old.
- NO MENOPAUSE! Women an accidental discovering in an obscure laboratory by a lowly female investigator will discover why women have fluctuating hormones and menopause and there will be a simple fix similar to that seen in stomach ulcers and treatment with antibiotics. This woman will win the Nobel Prize for this discovery and for saving millions of women's relationships
- The integration of women and computer technology would solve some of the financial crises with balancing our natural resources and our impact on our planet safely for families.
Those are my inspirations for future technology, gentlemen... I am sure many other women have theirs to add...