Saturday, October 2, 2010

I use to draw, but now I write...

I use to draw for a long time, but after I gave in to the Dark Side of the Force in Science that left me hopeless, I write. I am a research molecular geneticist and scientist. Google me and you will find 5 of my research papers dealing with cardiovascular disease, aging and diabetes. Doubt me...well that is your choice...

Anyhow I support women, particularly women of color, specifically women of African descent to find their voice. When women have been dominated and abused in this society, it is very hard for a woman to find her voice without being viewed as that "Angry Black Woman" stereotypical misogyny. Sure, a woman can be harsh to a man and people get hurt, but once that hand is raised and strikes or a woman is sexually violated, it crushes her ability to know how to fight back. Rape kills a woman's spirit. I should know...

Everything is questioned: Your values, your morals, your beliefs your reality and understandings. Being mired in pain, only to be manipulated by others, sometimes other women. Because domination is all you understand.

Drawing helped me, as well as other several art forms: painting, dancing and sometimes writing.

Then I decided to become a scientist. I never thought becoming would sacrifice myself to the alter of self-doubt, self-hate and low self-esteem... I was a pretty good scientist, but I refused to tortured by men who were misogynists and plainly ignorant, socially.

Recently, due to the piss poor economy, I have been out of work, yet my creative side has come back. Slowly, I draw, eventually I paint...And my dance has changed to martial arts where I have become self-confident! And I write on social media! Interesting blogs, developing characters, roleplaying, etc.

What can I say, I am human, I am a woman, I am an African American woman--not Black because my skin color is not the color "black" like "tar" and I respect those ancestors of my who were kidnapped from the diaspora or MAAFA hundreds of years ago and beaten within an inch of their lives, yet they survived... Let us be honest about the reality of that than watering it down to make it digestible--because it is not!

I have seen more woman oppression online than I have ever imagined and I have been accused of hurting people who invade where I come from and the reality of my experiences. By some women who have been "pedestalized", but mostly men, who are mentally deranged, sycophantic, and narcissists. I have also seen a lot of weak men, who you think are your friends, but when attacked do nothing to defend you unless you come with undeniable proof.

The thing that gets me are the lies and rumors of me... But then I look at this younger generation and they were reared with Jerry Springer with the unmedicated throwing shoes at people, being goaded to fight with the ring of the bell. Is that responsible socially? Well see, the business that I am in, the control of the message must be rapid in Customer Relations Management. Protocols need to be in place when the rumor mills run. Besides the fact we eat this junk social food, our mental bodies and spirits cannot be nourished by it, and it is not sustainable. Eventually we will fall into mental-social failure...

Is there medical evidence? Possibly. What I like about writing fiction, specifically science fiction, is that I do not have to provide the actual scientific paper evidence, except for a few links. Do I write for my audience and give them what they want, junk mental-social food? Or do I elevate their minds, grounded in math-physics-chemistry-biology so that when they are ready, they can seek to find their own answers? As a former college instructor and lecturer, I prefer the latter. But in business...If I want to make money--tell people what they want to hear. It is sad. As a scientist in transition back to artistry, losing my creativity can make me sick, but the mania overcoming the slamming incurred, well...At least I do know mindfulness...