Tuesday, August 14, 2012

WARNING TRIGGER WORDS: The Systematic Silencing of Women Online

I just came from a panel where there was gross harassment and cyberbullying specifically to silence a dissenting voice or a voice that posited a different POV. The right of intelligent dissension is the basis of democracy and a fairer society. It allows for evolution to take place. The silencing "INTELLIGENT" dissent, condones dictatorship.

Civil discourse is what we strive to do. Apparently Facebook/Twitter has not evolved to that level of experience and education yet. It's more like a free-for-all where people can post random opinions without much thought to them and are purposefully hurtful by the language they use, i.e. profanity (Fuck, Shit, Bitch are keywords here) And racial epithets, like "Nigger Whore", which I have been called.

Moreover, to say to "ignore them" is to minimize what is really happening here: Outright silencing and targeting whomever is resisting. Which makes this issue systemic and ingrained. Something is wrong with some people's minds and it is a learned behavior, not biological/chemical/medical mental illness. It is a reward system to dominate the thoughts of others.

I posted this meme out of exasperation. At some point, arguing become pointless and unworthy of my time, but an ounce of education and insight into a matter I do understand, I will try to help. That's me. It isn't everybody. Point is a lot of people don't know how to act or behave online and they have brain-mouth filter problems. Then the power comes of the enthralling domination to silence another's voice. And that makes this social media experience a negative one.


I added my truism: 

When I stop posting and ban/block you, it doesn't mean you've won. It simply means your stupid ass isn't worth anymore of my time.

Fact is, these comments are going to get worse as the political climate heats up. We already know what angle both will go. This is politics. But it is unhealthy for us trying to stay mentally well.